Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Open Arms!

So today, one of my friends who has been through a lot lately was thanking me for helping her with some stuff and she asked me if she could give me a hug. Of course I said yes because I am a hugger. Then I started to think about my interactions with all of my friends and I as I reflect on it, I don't think that I have hugged many of you. Those of you who know me really well, should know that I am always open to a hug, whether it is you or me that need it.
I believe that touch is one of our strongest senses and a hug is a wonderful way to show someone that you are there for them. Don't get me wrong, I don't run up to a total stranger on the street and give them a hug but I would if I felt that they really needed it! Oprah did a show a while back about a guy who would go up to random strangers and ask if he could give them a hug- men, women, children and adults- and most people let him. He asked them to simply pass on the hug to others because he thought that the world would be a better place with more hugs! I totally agree with him.
I dated a guy in high school who was a little to-touchy-feely for my taste. (Not in a wrong kind of way but he always had to be touching me- hand holding or arm around me or such.) At the time I thought it was a way to show everyone that I was with him and it really drove me nuts. In fact, it made me more protective of "my space." So I understand that hugs can be a little to intrusive for some people. But not me!! So I guess that what I want this post to reflect is that if you ever need a hug- I am her for you!!! Don't hesitate to ask and really you don't have to ask, just give me a hug!!

*Afterthought--I hope that no one reads this and thinks I am too weird or anything but I have often thought about how I wanted to give someone a hug but held back for some reason. So know this- I will hold back no more!!I have put it out there- so hug away!! Whether is be a friend or a family member, stranger or not, share a hug!!!!

4 comments:

Schweiss Trio said...

Having lived with you for 18 (plus 2 more) years...hugs around our house are second nature. I don't think you are weird for saying what you have, actually I think it shows that you are an ever better friend than before. You simply let your friends know that you were there in a more personal way if they needed anything. Just so you know, you can always count on a hug from this little sister of yours! I love what you said! Pass those hugs around ( and if you aren't a hugger, than at least remember that smiles go a long way too!)

Chantel said...

I love your hugs! I don't think you are weird at all. Your hugs got me through some hard times in Kirksville!

rebecca said...

I sure miss you! It's too bad you don't realize how much you'll miss certain people until after you move!! I want you to know that I always felt like if I needed a hug that you would give me one. You are such a genuine person and I have always admired that about you!

The Posse said...

I love this lol... I actually wrote a paper in high school about the healing power of touch-- hugs in particular. I love that you're a hugger!